Monday, October 1, 2012

Balancing the Brownies

Week 3 of my Peak313 Challenge and Week 4 of my challenge with B have ended.  I had a great week of healthy eating and awesome workouts.  I really pushed myself to battle the cravings that were the center of the Peak313 goals.  I also resolved not to be so focused on the scale, although I do feel a tad disappointed that I ended up staying the same weight and not losing this week.  My clothes fit better and I FEEL better, so that's my measure of success this time around.

I found some interesting connections between my top 3 food and non-food cravings while spending time meditating and memorizing the Peak313 Soul Food for Week 3, 1 John 2:16.  My three blogs on Cheese Fries/Family Time, Cheesecake/Financial Stability and Chinese/An Organized Lifestyle really helped me figure out each craving and how to keep them in balance and check.  Plans to maintain moderation and resolving to keep everything balanced now fill my head and notebook.  Now only to balance my lifestyle and  find time to organize those plans.  :-)

I had the ultimate challenge Saturday night for anyone trying to maintain or lose weight, THE COOKOUT.  A girlfriend of mine recently bought a house and I knew there was going to be all sorts of yummy treats filling the tables.  I was prepared, prayed for strength, resolved to keep my cravings in check and eat only the things I really wanted and to keep those portions small.  Armed with my healthy appetizer, I headed to the party.  I was happy to see lots of people there to talk to, that helps me from pigging out.  However.....the only seat left was right next to the food and right next to the cutest sweetest little girl who I will call K.

K is the daughter of a friend of mine, she was fresh from getting a new pixie haircut and was thrilled she helped her mom bake triple chocolate brownies.  Oh no, I could feel it coming on....the puppy dog eyes stared me down and asked me if I was going to try one of her brownies.  Brownies had not been on my list of things I would eat that evening, but how could I say no?  I ate a small one and raved about how wonderful it was.  Little K was thrilled and her smile made my night.

Cravings, both food and non-food, aren't always bad as long as they are taken in small bites and only occupy a small spot on our plates. This week God helped me recognize and start to battle my cravings with moderation and balance, while reminding me I am human. A few years ago that brownie would have turned into two and I would have never thought about praying for help.  Finding that connection between spiritual health and physical health is the best weight loss 'secret' anyone could uncover.

Hope all the Peak313 ladies had a great week, let's make this one even BETTER!


4 comments:

  1. Awesome! Great job! And I enjoyed your cravings post! Keep at it!!

    Clare
    Peak313

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Keep up the good work and way to go with having a small brownie and making little K very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I truly appreciate your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete