Thursday, September 27, 2012

Craving Connection Part 3


This week my Peak313 Challenge is about cravings.  The Soul Food is 1 John 2:16, which speaks to cravings and how they are sinful and of the world. I have been blogging about the correlations I have realized between my food cravings and my non-food cravings.  Hey, it's an interesting way to tackle some of the things that trouble me.   I have taken on Cheese Fries and Family Time, Cheesecake and Financial Stability and today for my final post on this subject I am tackling Chinese Food and An Organized Lifestyle.  Just thinking about them makes me want to sort mail while eating some crab rangoons.....

Food Craving #3-Chinese Food, mainly the take-out kind.  Fried rice, crab rangoons, almond chicken, lo mein, broccoli beef-I'm not picky with this craving. While not a fan of the cheap buffet version, I can definitely devour massive quantities if I am in the right, ahem, I mean WRONG mind set.  

Non-Food Craving #2-An Organized Lifestyle.  I know, another silly sounding craving right?  Anyone that knows me knows that I enjoy things to be orderly and organized.  Many criticize this craving of mine, but as long as I keep it in check, I think it does a lot of good. 

Chinese food, what is the allure?  Besides the salty fix it gives me, it is typically presented in a very nice orderly manner.  Already seeing that correlation?  When you get the Chinese food, it is typically packed in little quaint boxes or in a compartmentalized box with a few entrees separated nicely.  Aside from organization, Chinese food brings repetition-most take out menus are basically the same and I always know what the dish will typically taste like.  Did I mention it is also GOOOOODDDD?  I am fantasizing here as I eat my avocado, black bean and spinach salad for lunch.  :-)

It wasn't difficult to find the relationship between my Chinese food craving and my craving to have an organized lifestyle.  I love to have things planned, organized and executed well.  My family benefits because we all know where things are, when something is going to happen and we don't waste our time searching through clutter for necessities.  Like I mentioned before, MANY people tell me I'm too organized or am wasting my life cleaning and getting my ducks in a row.  It took me a long time to not be hurt by them, but now I realize God helps me keep balance. I often do these tasks while the kids are still asleep or we do them together.  Everyday I make sure that my time de-cluttering or cleaning or planning never interrupts special time with my family.  We even ENJOY making the monthly calendar together.  

Several times I ask God to help me not be quick to anger when someone attacks how I live.  As I stated, I truly believe I am not wasting time and it actually saves my family time and money that we can put toward meaningful things rather than replacing something that was lost, paying a late fee, showing up late, etc.  Children thrive in an organized environment where tasks are completed on time and there is stability.  Organization and repetition go hand in hand (like I mentioned about my yummy Chinese food above) and I thank God that he has helped me provide that for my family. 

So the next time I find myself becoming too immersed in organizing my life or the next time I want to eat pounds of lo mein, I must remember  1 Corinthians 8:9 (NIV) Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 

Although I was first apprehensive, it has been great week  identifying my cravings and using scripture to help me keep them in check. Hoping all my Peak313 friends found it useful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment