Thursday, September 20, 2012

One Day At A Time-

My Week 2 Soul Food for the Peak313 Challenge is Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NIV) Really?  I'm not suppose to worry about tomorrow-the kids, home, work, finances, health.....?  The truth is we all worry about something, but the verse reminds us to give our worries to God. Our future is already written, God has a master plan and He is in control.  Wait.....I like to be in control!!!!! 

Yes at times I am a control freak,although I hate to admit it. I can't stand delegating tasks at work. I am at times an over-bearing mom, my daughter Lo can attest to that.  Before she can even respond to a text from me asking about her plans or what we need to do for college visits, I am firing more questions or go-dos.  I can remember working myself in to several frenzies planning holiday get-togethers or birthday parties. When I am slacking on my exercise or eating poorly, I really beat myself up because I consider myself out of control.  I had to learn to let go of some of that-I'm not perfect, no one is perfect.  What I need to remind myself is that I am really not in control of anything, it's up to God.  

I need to ask God daily for help getting through each day, to remind me I am not in control.  We never know when there will never be another tomorrow, today is all we have until we see the sun rise again. Being overwhelmed with all of life's worry should not consume my days. 

One of my favorite gospel songs as a child:

One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everything that I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Help me today
Show me the way
One day at a time.

As I once heard in a sermon-would I be ready to go see my heavenly father if it were my last day?  Seems to me that's the only thing  worth worrying about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment