Friday, November 30, 2012

Let's Be Users

I was reading one of my favorite blogs by Bonnie Pfiester  http://pfitblog.com/2012/11/30/handicapped-by-fat-why-laziness-kills/ today and I thought it was a great message.  She wrote how America seems to be paralyzed by laziness, or as she put it:  Handicapped by Fat.  She mentioned about the use of scooters by people that can but refuse to walk, please realize she was in no way attacking those who are truly paralyzed.  The point I took away from the blog was, unless we stay healthy and active, we will end up not enjoying our lives to the fullest.

So why is it that we do not use our bodies?  Bonnie pointed out impatience, which I get that. I think of all the places I could walk to and I don't simply because I want to get there faster.  Heck, MY GYM is less than 2 miles from my house so I could walk there.  Perhaps at 3:30 am it is not the safest idea, but you get the point.   Not too long ago I loaned my Reshaping It All book to a neighbor who lives about 8 or so blocks from me. It was a windy night, but otherwise decent weather.  As I was picking up my keys I thought 'what are you doing?' I was seriously going to DRIVE to her house to deliver a book about getting healthy. I walked and was glad I did.

Another point of the article is that sometimes things get hard and it leads to laziness.This could be an injury, a little more weight, life's perils, heart issues, etc. that lead a person to stop exercising or even remaining mobile  for that matter. I think about all the times things got hard for me and all the times I quit.  I remember losing all the weight after my son was born 12 years ago and was a total gym rat.  Then I slowly started to let life creep in and wasn't working out as much, which led to weight gain and my highest weight ever in 2004. Next thing I knew, I was giving up.  I wasn't using my body for much of anything other than eating and taking care of my family, which was suffering because I was lazy and depressed.

Like Bonnie, my point is not to chastise the people who utilize scooters.  All I am saying is that we need to USE our bodies so we don't LOSE them.  It's no secret B is older than I am nor is it a secret that he is in very good physical health.  I know we both work hard to play hard.   I want to reach as many goals as we can together be that keeping in shape, traveling, enjoying the outdoors, just living life to the fullest and so on. I'm in for using my body to it's fullest potential and even pushing it beyond to boost my quality of life, plus I think it just sounds sort of funny to say 'I'm a user' and it actually mean a good thing.  HAPPY FRIDAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment